The program has been designed around teams looking to develop pilot projects, gain valuable data and insights in key market areas such as ports optimization, zero emissions shipping, kelp and seaweed tech, and ocean observation and data, to prove out and validate their 3-5 TRL technology (Technology Readiness Level).
Over three months, teams will work with a problem/project sponsor and a group of seasoned advisors and instructors on reaching milestones. Accelerating business development with key stakeholders and a pilot project that puts teams on a path to continued commercialization.
Braid Theory is looking for savvy startups and solutions which have an application in Ocean, Marine and Maritime only, for our Springboard — Innovation Venture Studio program, beginning in late-August 2022
- The program follows a 30-day curriculum-based instructional, a milestone approach, with 4 additional months of support on pilot programming. The syllabus will consist of 2-weekly hours of workshops on:
- Pitching value to stakeholders
- Project Management
- Proposal Building
- Sourcing RFP’s and Proposals
- Assembling partners
- Project budgeting
- Resource management
- We are focused on industries and adjacencies in the Blue Economy. Braid Theory has been a long established leader and expert with a proven track record of success with startups and scale-ups, and can provide exceptional value, domain expertise, and connections to industry.
- Startups will work with a team of advisors and instructors on reaching milestones to accelerate business growth that puts teams on a path to commercialization
- Work with Braid Theory's market partners to find a path forward for your technology via a pilot-based approach
- Access to our unique waterfront facility located at the AltaSea at the Port of Los Angeles campus. This includes a Synthetic Biology Lab, a Biochemistry Lab, and a comfortable Coworking Space
- Access to our MOANA Angel Network in Blue Economy and other connections to seed and venture capital, other funding including grants, and sources of undiluted capital.
- Package of services valued at over $200,000, including use of lab space and instruments, perks
- An offer to join the growing entrepreneur community with continuous support from Braid Theory post-program.
- A 2% warrant is taken in each company accepted into the program
- No fees are associated with the program
- Technology and science founders from underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply
- Startups may be selected from university teams conducting research or entertaining a commercialization pathway for their discoveries and ideas
Startups should be working on key scientific research and application around four key areas:
- Port Optimization and Efficiency
- Port Emissions
- Kelp and Seaweed Tech
- Ocean Observation and Data
Startups should have a a strong technology and market readiness
- TRL 3-6 and above
- MRL 3-6 and above
Teams should be prepared to focus on these three areas when accepted into the program, for company success
- Strong and defensible IP
- Business model
- Product-market fit
- Have at least one PI (Principal Investigator) co-founder
- Have at least one EL (Entrepreneurial Lead) co-founder
- At least two founders must be full-time
- Teams do not have to be located in the US to apply, however, they should be prepared to spend some time in-market, with their pilots, located primarily in Southern California (please let us know if you have any questions)
- Have at least a proof-of-concept level product (not just a procedure, protocol, or an idea phase)
Teams will be chosen on the basis of:
- Uniqueness of concept
- Meeting several of the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Be a solution to a real world problem (use-case dependent)
Not sure you qualify? Reach out to us with any questions you may have regarding eligibility requirements, and if you’re the right fit. We’d like to hear from you!
Braid Theory will review each incoming application, on a rolling basis, until the deadline date. Attention will be paid to unique opportunities we see as a value-add in the four areas aforementioned, we have identified as opportunities in the ocean/maritime space
Deadlines for Applicants:
- Applications close August 25, 2022
- Interviews with startups will be rolling until application end date
- Applicants are notified of admission by August 26-29, 2022.
- Cohort start date: September 5, 2022
- Problems/Pilots will run through to December, 2022