The USC Wrigley Sustainability Prize is an annual entrepreneurial competition supporting environmental ideas with market potential from within the USC community. This event highlights innovative start-up ideas from all disciplines and rewards concepts that could result in meaningful environmental change. Winning teams receive prize money to help translate their ideas into action.
Building on the environmental mission of the USC Wrigley Institute, the Prize supports the most compelling ideas that meet the following criteria: Innovation (How creative is the idea? Has it been done before?); Impact (How would the idea improve sustainability beyond the status quo?); and Feasibility (Can the idea be executed, and would it have commercial appeal?)
A selection committee of experts will judge submissions and help teams develop the most promising solutions. Throughout the competition, the teams receive mentorship from business, science, sustainability, and entrepreneurship experts, as well as networking opportunities. Finalists are invited to present their concepts at a public pitch showcase in April 2019 where the top three winners are selected and recognized.
The competition invites applications from individuals or teams with members from the following groups: USC undergraduate or graduate students, faculty, staff members, recent alumni, or innovative combinations of groups.
· Each team MUST include at least one USC undergraduate or graduate student.
· No individual may serve as a member on more than one team.
· Teams must submit a complete application by midnight (PST) on February 15, 2019 to be eligible.
· Teams comprised of members from multiple academic disciplines are encouraged but not required.
· Any significant changes to project scope between submission of the application and the final event may require further vetting. Please consult the Selection Committee for approval.
· All finalists must be present at the final pitch event April 16, 2019. For teams that include non-student members, current USC students must be part of the final pitch presentation.
· Ideas may be submitted in a variety of ways, including (but not limited to): detailed write-ups of the concept, grant proposal drafts, material prototypes, annotated illustrations/blueprints, etc. This is an innovation competition—creative submissions are encouraged!
· The selection committee reserves the right to eliminate any team from participating that fails to comply with the rules or procedures, or fails to act in accordance with USC policies.
· For more information, please contact [email protected] with the email heading "Wrigley Sustainability Prize"
Have an environmental idea you think could take the market by storm? Pitch it to us! Ideas may be submitted in a variety of ways, including (but not limited to): detailed write-ups of the concept, grant proposal drafts, material prototypes, annotated illustrations/blueprints, etc. This is an innovation competition—creative submissions are encouraged.
Semi-finalists will be invited to present a 5 minute pitch to the Wrigley Prize selection committee on March 21-22, from which finalists will be identified. These finalist teams will receive mentoring and present their pitch at a public Showcase Event on April 16th, 2019 judged by a panel of environmental experts, startup investors and business leaders. The top three teams will be recognized at that event and receive prize money to help translate their ideas into action.
First place team: $7,000 prize
Second place team: $5,000 prize
Third place team: $3,000 prize